ABOUT US

Our welcoming and inclusive community has been the heart of Winnipeg's Windsor Park neighbourhood since 1959. Join us for community events, worship in the Anglican tradition, Christian education, or just drop in to say hello. We look forward to meeting you!

ADDRESS

St. Bartholomew Anglican Church

881 Autumnwood Drive
Winnipeg, MB. R2J 1C2

Tel: 204-257-8594

email: stbartswpg@gmail.com

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

© 2019 St Bartholomew Anglican Church, Winnipeg

History of  Parish 

St. Bartholomew Anglican Church

 

St. Bartholomew opened its doors after a number of Anglicans in Windsor Park were determined to have a place for worship near their homes. This group of strong believers knew what God was calling them to be...witnesses to the love of Christ. Some mortgaged their homes to make it a reality. They have provided us with a spiritual home—a place where the people of God gather to worship, to grow in that relationship, to share in leadership and ministry, to love and support one another and engage in mission locally and abroad.

 

 The following chronicles a brief synopsis of the Church’s early beginnings:

‚Äč

  • November 27th, 1957—At a meeting held at St. Philip’s Church, a decision was made by 24 residents of Windsor Park to establish a neighbourhood church.

  • December 22nd, 1957—First Sunday School in the community: held in families’ homes (two such households: Salstrom and Bagot).

  • April 13th, 1958—1st Church service, held at Frontenac School.

  • January 26th, 1959—At the first Annual General Meeting a decision was made to purchase three lots on Autumnwood; lots that would house the church building and rectory.

  • August 19th, 1959—Appointment of the first Rector, The Rev. Patrick Lee (Later Bishop of the Diocese).

  • November 11th, 1959—Cornerstone for Parish hall laid by Archbishop Barfoot.

  • December 24th, 1959—First church service held in Upper Hall.

  • February 24th, 1964—Dedication of the Church and Celebration of Holy Eucharist held in the nave of the new church building.

  • October 1st, 1967—The Rev. Patrick Lee reassigned; replaced by The Rev. Harold  Newton.